Catholic Education Services – Diocese of Cairns remains committed to good faith bargaining and reiterates its position that a 2.5% wage increase for all school staff backdated to May 2015 for School Officers and July 2015 for Teachers is a fair offer in the current economic climate and in the context of market conditions in Queensland.
In further detail:
The wage increase of 2.5 per cent is fair.
- The current CPI rate is 1.7 per cent, so this offer is fair.
- The offer applies to all staff across-the-board. It does not change depending on a teachers’ classification. It also comes with back pay to June 30, 2015.
- The increase is in line with that agreed to by state school teachers.
About three-quarters of staff in Catholic schools have not voted for industrial action. This disagreement rests with a relatively small group who are trying to prolong this and prevent others from receiving their wage increase and back pay.
- The vast majority of staff have not supported industrial. About 75 per cent either did not take part in the union ballot or voted against action.
- We have heard from many employees who are satisfied with a 2.5 per cent increase and who want their back pay.
- The employers are ready to reach agreement Our offer has been on the table for many months with full back pay.
This is a fair offer in the Queensland marketplace – comparisons to other states are irrelevant.
- This is not a debate about the value of Our staff are outstanding – they provide exceptional service.
- But we are operating within a Queensland marketplace and this offer is fair and matches state school teachers.