In the event of a major or critical incident which impacts one or more Catholic schools in the Cairns Diocese (such as a cyclone, severe weather, contamination, disease outbreak, etc), regularly updated information and useful links will be posted on the home page of this site.
Should it be necessary to close the school in the event of an emergency, such as a cyclone, information will also be sent to local media.
The school community should listen to ABC Local Radio after 2pm and between 6.30 and 7.30am for these advices.
ABC Local Radio Frequencies:
- Cairns – 106.7 FM or 801 AM
- Babinda – 95.7 FM
- Mission Beach – 89.3 FM
During the cyclone season (typically December – April) it is very important for parents to be aware of school procedures in the event of school closures or affected access due to floods, cyclones or other crises.
School Closure Advices – 3 situations
- If a decision is made the day before to close Catholic schools the following day:
The Principal will, where possible, contact all parents/carers by note and/or text, advising that the school will be closed the following day/s and/or giving alternative arrangements. This will also include before and after school care.
- If a decision is made overnight to close Catholic schools the following day:
The Directors of Cairns Catholic Education and Education Queensland will issue advice to all local radio stations, which will broadcast this advice from 6.30am – 7.00am approximately. If this information is delayed it may because of difficulty reaching the radio station or the availability of information. Parents are advised to keep listening to their local station until advice is communicated.Updates will also be posted on this website: www.cns.catholic.edu.au. If the decision is made to close schools in a particular area, then all schools in that area – both Catholic and State – will close, irrespective of their individual circumstances. This will also include before and after school care.
- If a decision is made during school hours to close Catholic schools IMMEDIATELY:
Information will be communicated to parents/carers wherever possible and also to local radio stations and school transport companies (bus and ferry).
Parents should listen to their local radio station and keep updated via this website on days where cyclones and severe storm warnings are active.
Each principal will ensure all children have a safe means of reaching home and that appropriate supervision is available once they arrive home.
Each principal will make arrangements for any child who does not have a safe means of reaching home or appropriate supervision to be cared for at the school.
If a decision is made to keep schools open:
- If a decision is made to keep schools open, but an individual Principal is aware of circumstances indicating that the school should be closed, that information will be reported to parents (wherever possible) and local radio stations.
- This information will also be posted on this website.
- Parents, of course, should make their own judgments on whether it is safe to send their children to school on the day.
- It is possible for example, for it to be safe for the school to open, but unsafe or inappropriate for particular students to attend because of individual circumstances.
What should parents do when advised the school is closing during the school day?
- Parents should collect their children IMMEDIATELY from schools and after-school care.
- Immediate collection of your child will assist the school in an efficient closure process and will give school staff the opportunity to collect their own children from other schools/services.
- Your cooperation in this matter is greatly appreciated.
- In the event of emergency/cyclone season, Cairns Catholic Education works closely with Education Queensland in determining school closures and other appropriate actions to be taken to ensure student, staff and school safety.
- For further information on these procedures, please contact your school, or contact Catholic Education Services on 4050 9700 or email@example.com.