The vision for contemporary learning across the Cairns Diocese is for Information Communication Technology (ICT) to be integral to learning and teaching in our schools to “empower those in our community to engage with and enrich our ever changing world”. (Learning and Teaching Policy Diocese of Cairns – CES)
The Cairns Diocese is part of CEnet which is a collection of Catholic education networks connecting school communities across metropolitan, regional and rural New South Wales, Queensland, NT and the ACT. CEnet’s member dioceses share a common vision for a network and learning architecture suitable for the support of education and evangelisation in the digital age.
An education portal for connected schools lies at the core of the Diocese’s approach to enhancing learning and teaching in the 21st century, empowering both teachers and students, and facilitating communication, publication, sharing and collaboration – all key elements of any successful learning and teaching environment. This learning and internet management system provides schools with the capacity to access educational content in a safe manner and interact with other schools across dioceses and indeed, the world.
For students, this means:
- anytime, anywhere access to their own e-learning environment
- personalised user experience enhancing interest and ownership
- collaborative online programs aimed at building learning communities
- delivery of targeted learning content
- activities to foster independent learning
- opportunities for parental involvement in children’s learning programs (by having access to their children’s personal portal, from home)
- access to resources that best suit their learning styles and abilities by choosing from the wide range of resources available
The Cairns Diocese is truly a Connected Learning Community.