Serving and supporting the Diocesan mission in education is Catholic Education Services (CES). As the education office for the Cairns Diocese, this diocesan agency operates under the authority of the Bishop and the governing relationships authorised by him.
As an executive arm of the Diocese, CES assists the Bishop in directing pastoral action through educational administration and support and is delegated to undertake responsibilities which serve, support and advocate for all educational ministries.
Its overall responsibilities are articulated in its delegations which in turn are pursued by dedicated people and supportive structures. Our relationship with school communities is an interdependent one, with mission as our collective focus and carriage of responsibilities that are complementary.
Within a ‘stand-alone’ education system offering services to families seeking a quality Catholic education for their children, a number of significant obligations and responsibilities are managed and facilitated by CES.
As part of the diocesan family of schools, although each school may be self-managing, it is not self-governing. Each school operates according to the mandate of the diocesan Church, and its leader, the Bishop of Cairns. The Bishop delegates responsibility for the provision of Catholic education and leadership and strategic management of the system of schools to the Executive Director of Catholic Education Services, and works through the Education Board of Governance to set and monitor policy and practice.
The Executive Director and CES staff members manage and facilitate a number of significant obligations and responsibilities:
- To develop, establish and model the distinctive Catholic Identity within schools and colleges
- To develop and monitor Strategic and Annual plans
- To provide Human Resources support to schools, colleges and CES
- To support and enhance Learning and Teaching within schools in areas such as Student Services, Curriculum, and Resource and Information Services.
- To coordinate communication and collaboration within and beyond Catholic Education
- To provide oversight of the financial and physical resources of schools, colleges and CES
- To develop and maintain communication, decision making and associated management systems
- To act for and on behalf of the Diocese in all matters related to employment within Catholic Education
- To support the professional development of all staff
- To represent and advocate for Catholic Education
- To be accountable to the Bishop, Vicar and Board of Governance through seeking authorisation, consulting and informing on matters of Catholic education within the diocese.
Catholic Education Services expresses its mission as follows:
We are a community of people who support the mission of the Church in the provision of quality, innovative education. We provide leadership, service, and stewardship to those involved in the life project of Catholic education. We seek to be a positive influence in our work within the Church and in the broader community. In the spirit of Christ, we undertake our work through life-giving relationships founded on collaboration, communication, integrity and respect. We look to the future with enduring hope that the human potential for growth and goodness will be realised.
Members of the Catholic Education Services Executive Leadership Team are:
Strategic Planning and Frameworks
|Strategic Directions 2016-2019 is the key strategic document for the Cairns Catholic Education Community. It is provided in two formats – a 4 page A4 working document and an A5 summary.|
|School Effectiveness Framework|