Research shows that more than any other subject or skill, our children’s futures are all but determined by how well they learn to read. Want to know more? Watch the first video in our Cairns Catholic Education, Reading & Numeracy Series – Reading with your child.
Parent engagement in student learning at home
2. Warm-up for reading – Reading & Numeracy Series
We warm up when we get out of bed in the morning and we warm up before exercise or sport. So why not warm up before reading? Want to know more? Watch the second video in our Cairns Catholic Education, Reading & Numeracy Series – Warm-up for reading.
3. Don’t Interrupt Unless – Reading & Numeracy Series
When a child is learning to read it is important not to interrupt, unless it is really necessary. Constantly interrupting can disrupt your child’s efforts to understand what they are reading so that the meaning is lost. It can take the fun out of reading and reduce your child’s confidence. Want to know more? Watch […]
4. How Our Kids Become Great Readers – Reading and Numeracy Series
Developing skills and passion for reading at an early age is critical to a child’s development. How we achieve that is not rocket science – we can all do it!
5. Talk About It – Reading & Numeracy Series
How much talking occurs in your family? And how much of that talking involves your children, either directly or listening in? Research tells us that until children learn to read, most of what they know is learnt from hearing other people talk, usually in their family setting. Want to know more? Watch the fifth video […]
6. Mathematics in the Home, It Adds Up – Reading & Numeracy Series
For children to succeed in mathematics, it’s important they understand the why and how of maths rather than relying on rote learning. Research shows that when maths is relevant to our lives, the learning will be more meaningful.
7. Parents Talk About Reading With Their Children – Reading & Numeracy Series
From a parents point of view, reading is extremely important to form a connection with your children. Reading is always one activity you can sit down and do together. ?
8. Parents Talk About Their Children’s Favourite Books – Reading & Numeracy Series
What are your children’s favourite books? Parents and grandparents speak about their children’s favourite books to read together.
9. Children Talk About Their Favourite Books – Reading & Numeracy Series
What are your children’s favourite books? Children speak about their favourite books to read and why.
10. Read, read, read! – Reading & Numeracy Series
Read, read, read! Why? Watch the tenth and final video in our Cairns Catholic Education, Reading & Numeracy Series.