CES is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Commonwealth Privacy Act.
Catholic Education in Cairns is committed to assisting schools to meet their obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 and Australian Privacy Principles.
As part of this commitment we receive ongoing advice from the National Catholic Education Commission (NCEC) on compliance with the legislation. In August 2016 the NCEC updated its Privacy Manual and suggested several changes to policies, policy statements and collection notices. These changes are relatively minor but important.
In summary the changes provide for:
- A broader definition of our sharing of collected information. This now includes specific reference to other related church agencies and entities, the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA), people providing administrative and financial services to schools, and child protection agencies.
- Our use of education and assessment applications (APPs)
- Recognition of ‘cloud’ information storage in countries outside Australia
The manual also provides two useful new tools which have been incorporated into our policy documents:
- A response protocol for privacy breaches
- A decision making flow chart that guides an appropriate decision-making process for the release of information
These changes were approved by the Diocesan Board of Governance Education on 10 October 2016 to take effect from 1 January 2017. The new document (with the changes marked in yellow) and the revised Policy Statement and Collection Notice are available at the bottom of this page.
Enrolment processes from 1 January 2017 will apply the new privacy collection notices.
For queries about these changes please contact: Andrew McKenzie, Manager Governance and Engagement, Cairns Catholic Education Services, telephone 40509783 or email email@example.com